Personal Branding as a Leadership Requirement
- A brand is a commitment that builds a relationship between a professional/a company. For a professional, this means the following, as detailed by contributor to Forbes, Glenn Llopis (2013):
- The process of developing a personal brand is a big responsibility that extends beyond social media and an online presence
- Managing one’s personal brand means that you are showcasing your achievements and success stories
- You must be fully accountable to your audience and your customers, as your personal brand should become instinctual and natural, a genuine part of who you are
- Llopis suggests living through the “lens of a brand” to develop more mindfully a true authenticity that will be meaningful to customers
Social Media Branding for Professionals and for Businesses
- Social media is an effective way to manage a brand’s equity, image, and campaign. Sprout Social contributor Dominique Jackson writes of ten social media strategies, from which, I have chosen the three I find most useful (2016):
- Develop your voice
- How you communicate should connect with your audience
- Use your bio/profile section
- Let people know who you are and what you do, don’t fill this section up with hashtags or motivational quotes
- Engage, engage, engage
- Share content, but also reply to tweets and comments
- Develop your voice
Designing Brand Identity
- One of the most significant steps in branding is the actual planning and design of the brand identity. Alina Wheeler created a comprehensive guide-style book from which I have found the following self-reflective questions to be useful in my strategic planning (2013):
- Who are you? Who needs to know? How will they find you? Why should they care?
- When do you start the process of designing brand identity?
- New company, new product
- Name change
- Brand revitalization
- Creating an integrated system
- When companies merge/when you partner with someone
- Who are stakeholders? Who are constituents? What are their characteristics and needs?
Jackson, Dominique. (2016, February 3). 10 Social Media Branding Strategies Every Business Should Follow. Retrieved from http://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-branding/
Llopis, Glenn. (2013, April 8). Personal Branding is a Leadership Requirement, Not a Self-Promotion Campaign. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/glennllopis/2013/04/08/personal-branding-is-a-leadership-requirement-not-a-self-promotion-campaign/#4aedb7e315c0
Wheeler, Alina. (2013). Designing brand identity. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.